Ceviche is a kind of controversial topic, in the Peruvian cuisine there is also a Ceviche and here is where the debate begins.
Ceviche, also known as cebiche, is a typical dish from the coastal region of Ecuador. Obviously, it is also very popular in other Latin American countries and there a lot of different variations and different ways to prepare it. However, everyone wants to think theirs is the best one; we like to think that too.
Depending on the province Ecuador’s ceviche will have different versions made with all types of seafood and additional ingredients or spices.
Personally, I find that as long as fresh ingredients and good quality fish are used, they are all good. It just comes down to your inclination, which might be the variation that connects to your upbringing or family recipe.
There are restaurants and places that will pre-cook the fish by blanching it with boiling salted water. This makes the preparation a lot faster, and some will say that it is just laziness, but it’s more a thing of being overly cautious about raw fish.
The recipe needs very good quality fish and a very fresh one because it will only be «cooked» by the acidity of the lemon but no heat.
- 2lb of white fish fillets (corvina, halibut, sea bass), cut into small square pieces about a centimeter
- 2 red onions diced very finely
- 4 tomatoes diced very finely with out seed
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped very finely
- 20 small to medium sized lemons
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped as finely as possible
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the raw fish pieces in a glass dish and cover it with salt and lime juice from about 10-12 lemons, the fish should be completely covered by lemon juice.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator, let the fish marinate or cook itself in the lemon juice for 3-4 hours.
- Mix the onions, tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro with the juice from the remaining lemons and let marinate for about an hour.
- Once the fish is “cooked” in the lemon juice, strain it and remove the liquid it “cooked” in.
- Mix the fish with the lemon-marinated vegetables, add salt, pepper, and oil to taste.
Other variations of Ceviche will include other seafood such as shrimp, crab, lobster, squid, or black cockles.
If you are interested about finding out more about ecuador, click here: http://www.montecristigolfclub.com/