As we have mentioned, in the Andean Region locro is a very traditional dish. Served in different ways, with avocado, with “cuero”, or with cheese, this is a traditional Andean soup made with potatoes. Are you interested in trying this dish at home? Well, it is very easy to make, and here you can find what you will need and how to prepare it.
What you need:
10 medium sized potatoes (floury type), peeled and chopped into small and large pieces
7 cups of water
1 white onion, diced
1 cup of milk (more if desired)
2 tablespoons oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp achiote powder (annatto)
1 1/2 cup of mozzarella or “quesillo” cheese (grated or crumbled)
1 cup of cilantro leaves (minced)
Avocados, sliced or diced
How to prepare it:
- Like most of Ecuadorian dishes, you have to start by preparing a “refrito” which is a base for spicing the soup. The refrito is made by heating the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot; next add the diced onions, minced garlic cloves, cumin, and achiote powder. Stir often to avoid burning the onions, but cook until the onions are tender and golden.
- Next you will need to add the potatoes to the pot and mix until they are completely coated with the refrito. Keep stirring occasionally the potatoes in the pot for a couple of minutes, then add the water and bring to boil, but cook until the potatoes are very tender and starting to get smashed.
- With a fork or potato masher crush most of the potatoes in the pot, keep a few chunks to have the correct texture of the soups (heavy, creamy, with noticeable pieces of potato inside). Now turn the heat down to low, and start pouring milk, stirring it with the potatoes. You can add more milk if you see the soup is too thick and let cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add as many salt as needed, 1 cup of the grated cheese and ½ of cilantro, mix well, and remove from the heat.
- Finally serve warm decorating the top with the avocados, and sprinkle with the cheese and cilantro that was left, and if you wish you can add a bit of hot sauce (ají).
If you are interested about finding out more about ecuador, click here: http://www.montecristigolfclub.com/