We have talked a lot about the food and gastronomy of Ecuador, but every dish we have described is salted. So, the next in line are the sweet dishes.
Coconut, banana, papaya, babaco and pineapple are some of the fruits used to prepare sweets and desserts in the coastal region.
As we have already said, plantain and banana are products highly used in the gastronomy. Below you will find some desserts which main ingredient is plantain.
Gato encerrado Recipe
- 1 pound of all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ lt of milk
- 4 ripe plantains
- ½ pound of cheese
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, flour, and milk until smooth.
- Peel the plantains and cut in half and open them by the middle
- Cut the cheese in slices and fill with them the plantains.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan
- Put the plantain in the batter and fry it with enough oil to cover them completely.
Patitas de Burro Recipe
- 4 cups of banana flour
- 8 ripe plantains
- 3 tbs of butter
- ½ pound of cheese
- 1 tbs vanilla,
- cinnamon to taste
- sugar to taste
- In a large bowl mix the flour and the crushed plantains until everything is together.
- If you taste it needs more sugar and a couple of spoons and then add the butter, the crushed cheese, and the cinnamon.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 C
- Form little balls and bake them until they are light brown.
In the Highlands, the desserts and sweets are warm drinks prepared with fruit and some grains. Morocho con leche a type of corn cooked with milk, raisins, and cinnamon is a very traditional in the Andes region.
The Coladas, a preparation of fruit, vegetables or grains that are simmered until you get a thick drink are very common too. The best known will be “Colada Morada” a tradition of the day of the deceased (November 2nd) and usually eaten with bread dolls. This colada is prepared with, mortiño, black berries, strawberries, pineapple and babaco based on an herbal tea with lemon glass, cedron, sweet clovers, sweet pepper, the original recipe uses black corn flour.
The majority of sweets dishes and desserts will be something to crave for by the sweet tooth lovers.
If you are interested about finding out more about ecuador, click here: http://www.montecristigolfclub.com/